Authentic Omelette Style Pad Thai Recipe
Arguably the best Pad Thai in the world can be found by walking around sampling the food from local street vendors. Many vendors use time-tested recipes, often passed down for generations as a family secret.
This is a recipe for two servings. One hungry teenager could surely consume this but this is a wok-full. It is not recommended to reduce the portion of eggs since this is a style requiring an egg covering to hold it all together. The cholesterol conscious may want to substitute some or all eggs with healthier egg substitute product.
- Thai dried thin rice noodles 70g
- 8-10 shrimps - peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2-1/2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 layer fried tofu
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp (optional)
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chives, 1 1/2-inch segments (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chaipoh (pickled daikon - optional)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons roasted, unsalted chopped peanuts
- 1 fresh wedge lime
- Soak dried noodles for couples hours or half hours in hot water.
- Heat the wok and add 1 tbs of the oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add 2 beaten eggs, swirl the pan to coat the base. Cook until set or turns golden yellow. Transfer to a serving place.
- Heat the wok of the rest of oil with high heat.
- Add garlic and shallots and stir until it smells good!
- Add dried shrimp, chipoh, fried tofu and toss until it browns slightly.
- Add your choice of shrimp or chicken and stir fry until cooked through.
- Add the noodles. Add chicken soup, toss until it soft.
- Add tamarind juice, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Set it all aside. Add a little more oil if needed.
- Put 2 beaten eggs in the middle of your wok and place noodles over the top of the eggs to help cook them.
- Add beansprouts and chives. Toss again to combine all well.
- Transfer the noodles to the omelette serving plate. Wrap the omelette around noodles beautifully to serve.
- Top with roasted ground peanuts. Serve with lime wedge.